Donald Trump Blues

Recently, one of my colleagues in the English Department sarcastically remarked, “Gee, I can’t wait till Strouse publishes some incoherent essay about his campy take on Donald Trump!”

Since I would hate to disappoint a loyal fan, here it is: an essay about Mr. Big Stuff himself.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Mono Generation

In 2005, Lena Dunham starred in a film by Keil Troisi and A.W. Strouse. Endless problems plagued production—from the scatterbrained script to the cast’s partying to Strouse’s tawdry romance with Dunham. Now, this poetic short documentary reframes that footage into a commentary on celebrity, the War on Terror, and mononucleosis.

“Mono Generation” premiered at the Chicago Underground Film Festival before making its New York City premiere at Brooklyn Wayfarers, where the movie was screened on smart-devices.

Review of “Mono”

Generous review of my movie “Mono Generation” in Bushwick Daily.

Literary Theories of Circumcision

My dissertation received the Alumni and Doctoral Faculty Prize for the Most Distinguished Dissertation of the Year from the English Program at the CUNY GC.

Here’s what the Department had to say about my diss, “Literary Theories of Circumcision”:

In this arrestingly learned, wide-ranging, and critically sophisticated study, Strouse investigates the foreskin as a conceptual metaphor organizing literary experience. In writers from the patristic era to the present day, textuality is often figured as a foreskin and interpretation as circumcision, a literary theoretical formulation traced from Saint Paul through medieval, early modern, and modernist writers. The prepuce is found to contain an alternate literary history, one that queers received understanding of phallocentric writing.

Abstract.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Literary Theories of Circumcision

Reading 05/19

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Reading 05/19

Epigraph

Eileen Joy at punctum books quoted me in one of the epigraphs for this manifesto… but I am not worthy to be cited alongside Audre Lorde!

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Epigraph

“The One With The Celebrity”

My short movie, “Mono Generation,” is premiering at the Chicago Underground Film Festival—in a block of shorts called “The One With The Celebrity” (June 4 @ 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm).

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on “The One With The Celebrity”

Film Debut!

I’m super psyched, because the Chicago Underground Film Festival has accepted “Mono Generation,” a short movie that I wrote in collaboration with Keil Troisi.

Details TK.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Film Debut!

Transcending the Job Market

I agree with a commenter who criticized my recent essay as “all over the place.” But a little incoherence is a small price to pay for trying to hang on to complexity.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Transcending the Job Market

Lists!

A little essay on my obsession with lists.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Lists!